Navigating Aged Care with care finders
The Australian aged care system offers vital support to our aging population. However, this system can be intricate and challenging to navigate when seeking the necessary services. Our care finders specialise in providing intensive assistance to older community members, helping them connect with aged care services and relevant community supports. Unlike service providers, care finders offer navigational support, aiding individuals to:
- Identify disconnected older individuals,
- Navigate the system and engage with My Aged Care,
- Understand and guide through the care assessment process,
- Access essential aged care services and other relevant community supports, including housing assistance for those at risk of homelessness,
- Maintain regular check-ins to ensure ongoing needs are met.
A care finder will personally meet with older community members, either at their residence or a chosen location. They take the time to listen and comprehend the individual's service navigation requirements. Our services complement the My Aged Care channels, catering to those who need extra support due to vulnerability. To receive care finder assistance, an individual must:
- Lack a caregiver or supportive person,
- Feel uncomfortable or unable to trust their current caregiver or support person,
- Be eligible for government-funded aged care.
Furthermore, eligibility may stem from reasons such as:
- Reluctance to engage with aged care or government,
- Being in an unsafe situation without services,
- Difficulty understanding information and making decisions,
- Experiencing isolation/loneliness, especially for specific groups like renters, those living alone with disabilities, and individuals with low income,
- Belonging to culturally and linguistically diverse populations (CALD),
- Identifying as LGBTI+,
- Facing homelessness or the risk of homelessness.
Please click here to access a step-by-step diagram to determine eligibility or here to see a decision tree for navigation support.
Accessing care finder services
The care finder network is administered by the following organisations in eastern and north-eastern Melbourne:
- Care Connect
- Aged Care Assist, DPV Health Limited
- Service Connector, healthAbility
- Housing Support for the Aged Care Program, Merri Outreach Support Services
- Aged Care Navigation Program, Migrant Information Centre
- Home Care, The Salvation Army
- Housing and Care Connections, Villa Maria Catholic Homes Limited
- Outreach Services, Wintringham
- Intake function only, Housing for the Aged Action Group
Referring into the program is easy – no assessment or referral form is required. We do recommend using a referral form for quicker access to the service. Click here for an optional referral form.
To find your nearest Care Finder provider, see the map below or you can visit the home page on the My Aged Care website.
If you suspect that you or someone you know may not be eligible for the care finder network, below are resources to assist in finding a service.
- Not eligible for aged care
- Eligible for aged care service but not eligible for care finder services.
For more information on the care finder network please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.