Health care is changing every year and the overwhelming trend is that digital health and new technologies are driving these changes.
There is no substitute for personal care from a trusted GP or health professional, but we are also hearing the voice of health consumers calling out for smarter solutions that give them choice and control over their care and information.
Digital health will also play an important role in improving referral pathways and more closely integrating health services in order to improve our health system.
Broadly, the term digital health refers to any form of healthcare provision delivered via electronic means. This may include electronic health records, electronic referrals, secure messaging between providers, and telehealth/ telemedicine.
The use of electronic health records may also be referred using the digital health/ eHealth terminology which has recently been branded “My Health Record” by the Australian Government.
Please contact the digital health team via email@example.com for all digital health support.
Electronic referrals are currently being trialed in a number of areas around Australia. These systems allow for patient clinical and personal information to be selectively included from the GP patient record to be securely delivered between healthcare providers.
This system ensures that a referral is received by the healthcare provider and the GP will receive instant acknowledgement that their patient's referral has been successfully received into the destination referral office.
My Health Record overview
My Health Record is a secure repository of healthcare information uploaded by practitioners that contains information about your patients.
National Health Services Directory (NHSD)
The NHSD is a joint initiative of all Australian Governments delivered by Healthdirect Australia, to provide a comprehensive and consolidated directory of health service and provider information.
For consumers, the NHSD currently provides essential service information such as location, opening hours and contact details. The NHSD also supports health professionals by facilitating the coordination of ongoing care for patients and communication between health professionals through secure messaging and electronic referrals.
To provide feedback or request information providers can email the NHSD content management team at firstname.lastname@example.org
PIP Digital Health Incentive
The PIP Digital Health Incentive delivers financial incentive with the aim of recognising general practices that provide comprehensive, quality care, who are either accredited or working towards accreditation with the RACGP standards for general practice.
Secure messaging is the name given to software that allows encrypted communication between sites and the transfer of documents such as discharge summaries. To be eligible for your Digital Health Incentive, you will need to commission a compliant secure messaging package. For a list of compliant packages, please see the register of compliance at https://epipregister.nehta.gov.au/registers/secure-message-delivery
Telehealth is the delivery of healthcare virtually via a PC or mobile device. More information is available here.
Population Level Analysis and Reporting (POLAR GP)
Population Level Analysis and Reporting (POLAR GP) uses health analytics to understand and respond to population health trends, support quality in primary health services and provide insights into the local business drivers for general practice.
Digital health resources
Getting started with digital health registration for healthcare providers
PIP Digital Health Incentive
- Digital health incentive resources
- Practice Incentives Program eHealth Incentive
- MD resources: SHS calculator
- My Health Record Policies
- Preparing for the Practice Incentives Program – eHealth Incentive Checklist
- FAQs - ePIP
Training and engaging the practice team
- My Health Record Online Training
- My Health Record training for providers of IT support to general practice
- Australian Digital Health Agency on demand training
- Top 30 GP FAQs
- FAQ for Healthcare Professionals
- Putting the My Health Record System into business
Security of the My Health Record system
- Importance of data quality
- Data quality checklist for ‘Active’ patients
- Data cleaning tips in Best Practice
- Data cleaning tips in Medical Director
Patient Registration and Resources
- Assisted Registration policy template for general practices
- Assisted Registration training
- Assisted registration clinical software demonstration
- My Health Record Identification Framework
- Script for practice staff
- Assisted registration FAQs
- Essential information
- Assisted registration; Application for a My Health Record - Adult
- Assisted Registration Application for a My Health Record - Child
- Waiting room posters
- My Health Record TV slide
- My Health Record consumer brochures
- Patient Assisted Registration notification card
- Sample Assisted Registration workflows
- Apps that link to MyHealth Record
Shared Health Summaries
- Shared Health Summary Overview
- All you need to know about Shared Health Summaries
- Uploading Shared Health Summaries Demonstration
- Software guides in how to upload a Shared Health Summary
- Australian Digital Health Agency On Demand Training
Advance Care Plans