The Doctors in Secondary Schools program provides school based health services to 100 Victorian secondary schools considered most in need. It complements existing student wellbeing programs.
The program has been running since 2017 and there are 12 participating schools in the Eastern Melbourne PHN catchment. The funding provides students with access to no-cost healthcare in purpose built facilities located at the school. A nurse and a GP attend the school once a week. GPs, nurses and clinics are remunerated and supported to participate in the program.
The core objectives of the program are to:
- Make primary health care more accessible to students
- Provide assistance to young people to identify and address health problems early
- Reduce pressure on working families.
Current participating schools in Eastern Melbourne PHN
- Bayswater Secondary College
- Boronia K-12 College
- Charles LaTrobe P12 College
- Croydon Community School
- Healesville High School
- Lalor North Secondary College
- Melba Secondary College
- Scoresby Secondary College
- Upper Yarra Secondary College
- Wallan Secondary College
- Whittlesea Secondary College
- Yarra Hills Secondary College
Eastern Melbourne PHN will be delivering the Doctors in Secondary Schools Program until December 2024. We are always interested to hear from GPs, Practice Nurses and clinics wanting to participate in this program. We are currently actively recruiting for the following schools. To express interest in the program please use the Expression of Interest Form.
For more information contact: