We commission a range of mental health and AOD services for young people in our community, taking both a stepped care and whole-of-person approach.
Young people who are at risk, disadvantaged, and with complex needs are a priority for the service. Where appropriate, family members and carers will also be involved in the support provided to a young person.
Located in Knox, Hawthorn, Greensborough, and Syndal, and headspace satellites in Lilydale and Plenty Valley. All headspace centres are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. The administration of funding is carried out locally by Primary Health Networks.
headspace provides early intervention mental health services for 12-25-year-olds along with promoting young people's wellbeing. headspace centres act as a one-stop-shop to meet the unique needs of young people and those who support them. The four core streams – mental health, physical (including sexual) health, alcohol and other drug services, and work and study support, offer young people ‘wrap-around’ services at no or low-cost fee.
At a headspace centre, young people may access support from a GP, psychologist, social worker, alcohol and drug worker, counsellor, vocational worker or youth worker or Aboriginal health worker. The centres also provide mental health services to young people in Victorian government secondary schools.
Centres are designed not just for young people, but with them, to ensure they are relevant, accessible and meet the needs of young people and their families locally. As a result, no two headspace centres are the same, with each centre offering unique services that reflect the needs and services of its local community.
EMPHN commissions these providers to operate six headspace centres across the region:
- headspace Knox is operated by Eastern Access Community Health (EACH)
- headspace Lilydale is operated by EACH
- headspace Hawthorn is operated by Access Community Health
- headspace Greensborough is operated by Mind
- headspace Plenty Valley is operated by Mind
- headspace Syndal is operated by Alfred Health
EMPHN is supporting additional ’youth outpost services’ in Wallan to address a range of mental health needs for young people.
Youth Enhanced Services:
These services support young people (12 to 25 years) who have complex needs and/or emerging mental health issues, focusing on those at risk of severe mental illness. Support is also provided to families/carers. Services include:
- Youth Engagement and Treatment Team Initiative (YETTI), delivered by Eastern Health and Austin Health (in the east and north east of the region respectively)
- YFlex, delivered by Neami National across the north in the City of Whittlesea and the southern parts of the Shires of Mitchell and Murrindindi. See resource here
EMPHN Mental Health SupportConnect team
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (03) 9800 1071
- Fax: (03) 8677 9510