From 1 June 2020 amendments to existing restriction requirements and arrangements for increased quantity or repeats for opioids will apply.
There are new Restricted Benefit listings for smaller maximum quantities of immediate release opioids, with no increased quantities or repeats for patients requiring short-term relief of acute pain. The amendments apply to all PBS listed opioid, including tramadol and paracetamol/codeine.
- Restricted Benefit: patients who are intolerant, unresponsive, or have inadequate relief from maxim tolerated doses of non-opioid treatments.
- Smaller pack size and no repeats
- Higher strength opioids restricted to patients who are unresponsive or intolerant or have inadequate relief of their acute pain following maximum tolerated doses of other lower strength opioid treatments
- Increased quantity or repeats where patient meets restriction requirements
- Requires Authority Request
- Patients must be referred to a pain specialist or alternative prescriber for clinical review if opioid use exceeds or is expected to exceed 12 months