There has been an recent increase in vaccination administration errors involving expired vaccines.
To avoid vaccine administration errors of expired vaccine:
- Review vaccine stock management procedures and processes.
- Discard vaccine stock immediately when expired.
- Always check vaccine expiry dates prior to dispensing vaccine.
- Check vaccine expiry dates prior to vaccine administration.
Report vaccine administration errors:
- All vaccine administration errors must be reported to SAEFVIC
- SAEFVIC offers expert immunisation safety advice to health professionals, and can provide clinical services for children and adults if required.
Education opportunities: Preventing vaccine errors - the Melbourne Vaccine Education Centre has developed an eLearning module for health professionals aimed at preventing and managing vaccine administration errors, including conversations relating to the open disclosure process.
Source: Department of Health Immunisation newsletter 5 April 2023.