Flu vaccine advice from DHHS
· Pre-allocation of adjuvanted Fluad Quad for people 65+ is being sent out to all Victorian general practices over the next 2 weeks.
· After practices have received their pre-allocation they will be able to order further government-funded flu vaccine for other eligible patients but the order will not be processed until after all the pre-allocation has been delivered. So further stock will not arrive until April.
· The current Australian Chief Health Officer recommendation is to commence immunisation for flu from April, however the advice from Helen at DHHS is that the “common-sense” use of flu vaccine for people 65+ is completely appropriate.
· Prioritising Residential Aged Care Facilities is recommended and any people 65+ that clinicians think should be prioritised.
· Practices may need to consider how they manage flu clinics giving consideration to social distancing and the 15 minute wait period. Consider appointments, waiting room layout and spacing of chairs.
· Consider how you will manage patient’s expectations if you run out of flu vaccine before receiving your next delivery in April.
· Patients eligible for government-funded flu vaccine are only eligible for one funded dose. There is no government-funded second dose in September.