Date issued: 29 January 2020 (Update to Alert issued 25 January 2020)
Issued by: Dr Brett Sutton, Chief Health Officer, Victoria
Issued to: Clinicians and patients
- A novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak has been identified, focused on Hubei Province in mainland China. Please see the departmental website for regular updates: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/novelcoronavirus
- The department is now advising all people who have visited Hubei province in mainland China to stay at home and avoid public settings until 14 days after leaving Hubei Province. Anyone who has been in close contact with a confirmed case of 2019-nCoV should also stay at home and avoid public settings until 14 days after their last contact.
- The department has now confirmed two cases of novel coronavirus in Victoria, including one man in his 50s notified on 25 January and a second case in a man in his 60s confirmed on 28 January.
- The second confirmed case attended a restaurant dinner at the House of Delight restaurant in Glen Waverley between 1730 and 1900 on 26 January 2020. Anyone who was at the restaurant at that time should contact the department on 1300 651 160. There are no other locations of concern.
- The department has updated guidelines to health services and general practitioners, with modifications to the case definition and exclusions recommendations. These are now available at: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/information-health-services-novel-coronavirus
- Be alert for patients who have travelled to Hubei province, mainland China within 14 days of onset of illness and who present with fever and respiratory symptoms.
- Please ensure a surgical mask is placed on the patient as soon as they are identified and place them in a negative pressure room or single room. Notify the Department of Health and Human Services on 1300 651 160.
- Routinely ask a travel history in patients with respiratory symptoms. See below for a detailed case definition to inform testing.
- The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade have updated a Smartraveller travel advisory for Hubei province to level 4 – ‘do not travel’ and for China overall to level 3 – ‘reconsider your need to travel’.
- A public information hotline is serviced by Nurse-on-Call – 1800 675 398.
Read the full alert: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
Authorised by the Victorian Government, 1 Treasury Place, Melbourne.