CHO Alert - Poisonous mushrooms growing in Melbourne - 5 March 2020
Date issued: 5 March 2020
Issued by: Dr Angie Bone, Deputy Chief Health Officer (Environment)
Issued to: Health professionals and consumers
- Poisonous mushrooms including Death Cap mushrooms and Yellow-staining mushrooms are currently growing around Victoria. This early growth has been brought about by recent heavy rain.
- Extreme caution is advised when picking and consuming wild mushrooms - if in doubt, don’t consume.
- Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove or inactivate the poison.
- There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.
- Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable source are safe to eat.
Read the full alert: Poisonous mushrooms growing in Melbourne