Following the Australian Government’s response to the National Mental Health Commission’s review of programs and services in 2014, PHNs across Australia are leading reform initiatives in a number of key areas including the introduction of stepped care in mental health.
Within the EMPHN catchment, a phased transition to our Mental Health Stepped Care Model is planned:
• Phase 1: north east (service started 15 Jan 2018)
local government areas of Whittlesea,
Nillumbik, Banyule and parts of the shires of Mitchell and Murrindindi within the EMPHN catchment.
• Phase 2: outer east (service delivery to commence 2 Jul 2018 onwards) local government areas of Knox, Maroondah and Yarra Ranges.
• Phase 3: inner east (service delivery to commence 14 Jan 2019 onwards) local government areas of Manningham, Boroondara, Whitehorse and Monash.
- A consortium led by Banyule Community Health is delivering stage one and is now accepting new referrals.
- Mentis Assist will deliver stage two. Read the news story.
- In mid 2018 a tender process will be undertaken for stage three.
- EMPHN Mental Health Stepped Care Model brochure (June 2018)
- Information for GPs Private Psychiatrists Paediatricians - Changes to Mental Health Services (April 2018)
- EMPHN's Mental Health Stepped Care Model - Information for Clients and Carers (April 2018)
- EMPHN's Mental Health Stepped Care Model flyer (May 2018)
The below videos help explain EMPHN's Mental Health Stepped Care Model.
Video 1: A guide for GPs (10 mins)
Video 2: A new way of delivering mental health services (5mins)
Consultations and co-design forums with stakeholders commenced in the latter half of 2016 and early 2017 to develop EMPHN's Mental Health Stepped Care Model and low intensity services. It was clear from these consultations that the current system of care could improve to better meet the needs of the people of the region.
- Mental Health Stepped Care Model and Clinical Staging (April 2018) PowerPoint presentation
- Mental Health Stepped Care Model Co-design and Engagement Summary Report (September 2017)
- Mental Health Stepped Care Model Discussion Paper (August 2017)
- Presentations: Stakeholder forums for carers and consumers, and primary care providers (18 August 2017)
- Stakeholder forums (10 and 11 July 2017) video 1, video 2, Q&A transcripts - forum 1 and forum 2, forum report
- EMPHN Mental Health Nurses Incentive Program Forum Report (21 February 2017)
- Eastern Melbourne PHN Psychological Strategies Allied Health Professional Training – July 2016
- Eastern Melbourne PHN Psychological Strategies - September 2016