Eastern Melbourne PHN (EMPHN) partners with health professionals, consumers and carers to scope the gaps in the mental health, alcohol and other drugs (AOD) and suicide prevention sectors, identify emerging community needs and purchase services that address our region's needs.
Regional Integrated Mental Health, AOD and Suicide Prevention Plan
Primary Health Networks have been tasked with the development of a Regional Integrated Mental Health, AOD and Suicide Prevention Plan. Developed in partnership with Local Hospital Networks (LHNs) and other key stakeholders in the region, the Regional Plan aims to support more integrated service delivery pathways that are targeted to consumers' needs across mental health, AOD and suicide prevention. EMPHN has commenced consultation on the development of the Regional Plan from late July 2018.
Mental Health Stepped Care Model
Eastern Melbourne PHN's mental health (MH) services will be delivered through a Mental Health Stepped Care Model (SCM), a service delivery framework tailored to consumer needs that all Primary Health Networks are mandated to develop and implement.
The Mental Health SCM is part of the Australian Government’s response to the National Mental Health Commission’s Review of Mental Health Programmes and Services.
Visit EMPHN's Mental Health Stepped Care Model webpage.
Alcohol and other drugs
EMPHN is embarking on the development of a new model of care for AOD services in the region. EMPHN will be commencing consultation to inform commissioning of new community services. For information about co-design in AOD, visit the Co-design and development of a new AOD service model for EMPHN page.
EMPHN has partnered with the Department of Health and Human Services to deliver two suicide prevention trial site projects in Maroondah and Whittlesea.
EMPHN is currently undertaking a review of suicide prevention services and initiatives in their catchment, with consultation occurring from late July 2018.
EMPHN currently funds a wide range of MH and AOD services including:
- mental health stepped care organisations and partners
- allied health practitioners providing focused psychological strategies for priority groups
- organisations delivering focused psychological strategies for priority groups
- organisations facilitating access to credentialed mental health nurses who coordinate the clinical care of adults living with severe mental illness
- organisations delivering Partners in Recovery to adults living with severe and enduring mental illness
- headspace services and youth severe services delivering mental health support to young people
- organisations delivering Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health and AOD services
- an older persons mental health service
- organisations using different service models to deliver AOD services for consumers, their families and significant others
- services providing suicide support services, including early intervention and post-vention support
- Mental Health and AOD Market Development Workshop Presentation (June 2018)
- New Mental Health Stepped Care Service now accepting referrals
- New $1.3m Mental Health Stepped Care Model in Melbourne’s outer-east
- $2.5m for a new Mental Health Stepped Care Model in Melbourne’s north-east
- Psychiatric Secondary Consultation – Pilot Program
- AOD and mental health support for young people in Whittlesea
For more information, please contact one of our Mental Health and AOD Team specialists below:
Emma Newton, Manager, System Redesign and Service Transition, Mental Health and AOD email@example.com
Mental Health and AOD Managers