Our general practice engagement team aim to build the capacity of primary care nurses and improve practice system and processes, ensuring full potential for patient health care and quality business outcomes.
We can provide support and information on a variety of topics such as:
- Medicare's Chronic Disease Management item numbers (care planning)
- Health assessments
- Practice Incentive Payments (PIPs)
- Nurse orientation – for nurses new to general practice
- MBS item numbers
- Business management and practice systems
Education opportunities and information sessions are held on a variety of relevant topics throughout the year. These can be carried out in person, over the phone, in-practice training, live webinars and recorded webinars.
Upcoming events can be viewed on our events page.
You can also register to receive our fortnightly events newsletter.
Practice Nurse Network
Practice nurse networks meetings have been established in the outer east of Melbourne to provide nurses with an opportunity to discuss relevant issues, to network, share ideas and experiences and listen to guest speakers. Topical issues in general practice are presented and discussed and practice nurses are encouraged to work through these areas with their peers in a relaxed environment.
Networking events are held throughout the calendar year.
For more information about the network, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Basecamp online networking forum
EMPHN moderates two online networking forums for practice managers and practice nurses.
For more information and access, visit our webpage.
Information and resources
Wound care resources
- The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne
- Australian wound management association
- Worlds union of wound healing societies
- European wound management association
- Affordable wound and medical products for clinicians and patients
- Molnlycke wound management products
- Smith &Nephew wound management products
- RACGP Clinical Guidelines
- SNAP Guidelines – Smoking, nutrition, alcohol, physical activity (SNAP)
- Red Book - Guidelines for preventive activities in general practice 8th Ed
- Green Book - Putting prevention into practice Guidelines for the implementation of Prevention in the general practice setting
- RACGP Accreditation Standards for General Practice 5th Edition
- Chronic Disease Management Flowchart
- Chronic Disease Management - Provider Information & Fact sheet:
- CDM FAQ
MBS Practice Incentive Payment and Service Incentive Payment
- MBS flip chart
- Practice Incentive Payments (PIPs) & Service Incentive Payments (SIPs)
- Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP)
Diabetes and Asthma
- General Practice Management of Type 2 Diabetes 2016-18
- Asthma DOHA
- Completing the Asthma Cycle of Care — A guide for General Practitioners
- National Asthma Council of Australia
- National Asthma Council Handbook – Quick Reference Guide
Simplifying Mental Health Care webinar - a guide for primary health care nurses
Resources from the webinar:
- Australian Practice Nurses Association - APNA is the peak professional body for nurses working in primary health care including general practice. APNA provides primary health care nurses with a voice, access to quality continuing professional development, educational resources, support and networking opportunities.
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia is the national registration body of nurses in Australia.
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) is the union body providing education, advice and indemnity insurance to nurse members.
- The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) helps protect the health and safety of the community by promoting high quality standards for nurses www.anmf.org.au
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - AHPRA