Thursday 28th March 2019
9:00am - 5:00pm
Banksia’s comprehensive 6-day course is aimed at enhancing Division 1 and Division 2 (medication endorsed) Registered Nurses’ understanding and knowledge of holistic palliative care, resulting in confidence and capacity when managing palliative care patients and their carers.
The course incorporates four face to face, theoretical group education sessions and up to two days observational placement with Banksia Palliative Care Service, or a local health service for rural participants (optional).
The course is facilitated by a highly trained and experienced Educator, with qualifications and expertise in palliative care.
At the completion of this course, the attendees will have gained significant knowledge in the following palliative care topics:
- The philosophy of palliative care and the palliative approach to care
- Palliative symptom assessment and management
- Palliative medications, including commonly used opioids
- Recognising palliative care emergencies and implementing appropriate treatments
- Caring for the terminal patient and their family
- Effective communication and difficult conversations
- The importance of self-care and teamwork, including support available for staff.
Course dates: March: 20, 21, 27 & 28