Thursday 13th June 2019
9:00am - 5:00pm
Banksia’s comprehensive 1-day short course provides all attendees with greater understanding and knowledge of general palliative care principles.
The course content is relevant for Division 1 and 2 Registered Nurses, personal care attendants, Aged Care Facility staff, allied health care professionals and any person in the general community with an interest in palliative care.
The course is facilitated by a highly trained and experienced Educator, with qualifications and expertise in palliative care.
The training includes the following palliative care topics:
- Palliative symptom management including, but not be limited to:
- Non pharmaceutical management of pain and discomfort
- General care and comfort principles including diligent mouth
care, regular pressure area care, thorough hygiene, etc
- Managing the appetite and intake of a palliative patient
- Advocating for a palliative patient when dealing
with other health services
- Emotional support for terminal patients and their families
- Effective communication in palliative care (with patients and family members)
- The importance of self-care and teamwork, and support that is available for staff.
The course is run multiple times throughout the year at Banksia’s Heidelberg office (Melbourne), however will be presented at alternative venues if requested (conditions apply)