Wednesday 19th October 2022
6:30pm - 8:00pm
In this session, participants will be provided the opportunity to learn about the genetic technologies available and used routinely in practice that general practitioners (GPs) can order. This session is designed to be interactive where participants are encouraged to ask questions with Dr Kunal Verma. Participants will also be guided through HealthPathways' updated suite of genetics, containing both clinical and referral information at the point of care.
Dr Kunal Verma (Clinical Geneticist and Cardiologist)
Dr Verma is Australia’s only dual-trained clinical geneticist and cardiologist. He is a Monash Health physician and will be providing cardiovascular genetics care to patients at the Victorian Heart Hospital when it opens in 2023. He is also Director of Progenics, a private genetics practice at Cabrini Malvern.
Dr Shumaila Panhwar
Dr Shumaila Panhwar is a GP consulting in Brunswick and Northcote. She is the Clinical Editor reviewing the Genetics suite of HealthPathways Melbourne.
- what genetic testing is clinically available and what can GPs order
- summary of MBS items for genetic testing and funding available
- identifying patients at risk of familial cancer syndromes
- assessing genetic risk before and during pregnancy
- navigating HealthPathways Melbourne genetic pathways
- using case study scenarios to enhance training.
- describe the types of genetic tests commonly used in clinical genetics and the different funded and patient-pay options
- demonstrate the role of the general practitioner in identifying genetic risk, and navigating when to test and when to refer.
- summarise common indications for genetic counselling and testing in clinical practice
- identify the benefits and drawbacks of common genetic tests for couples planning a pregnancy or currently pregnant
- implement local referral pathways for genetic evaluation.
As part of this interactive session presented by Dr Verma, questions and clinical case scenarios from attendees will be incorporated into the presentation to enhance training opportunities. To send through your questions or de-identified clinical cases (1-2 paragraph summary) +/- genetic test reports that you would like Dr Verma to discuss during the session, please click on this link.
Activity points: undergoing accreditation for 2 x CPD points.