Tuesday 4th October 2022
7:15pm - 8:30pm
Join our interdisciplinary panel to learn about harm reduction, abstinence, stigma and mental health challenges that people may face due to their current or past use of AOD.
- Bill Buckley (VIC – AOD Mental Health Educator with a lived experience)
- Dr. Hester Wilson (NSW – General Practitioner)
- Dr. Mary Emeleus (QLD - Psychiatrist)
And facilitator Prof. Stephen Trumble (VIC – General Practitioner)
- discuss the difference between harm reduction and abstinence and how these approaches relate to mental health
- outline how to work with people experiencing mental health challenges, who are currently using or have used AOD in the past
- discuss stigma and the importance of language and communication when providing care to people seeking assistance for AOD use
- identify strategies to engage specialist services when supporting people who are experiencing mental health challenges due to their current or past use of AOD.