Tuesday 12th July 2022
12:30pm - 1:30pm
Eastern Melbourne PHN has invited Tracey Gardiner from Health Industry Employment Services (HIES) for a series of two vital webinars for general practice nurses and receptionists
About the presenter:
Tracey is a registered nurse of 30 years who has worked in mental health and Emergency departments in several countries including UK New Zealand and Saudi Arabia. Tracey holds a masters degree in mental health and has worked for Queensland Health as an aggressive behaviour management instructor.
In Australia, violence and aggression is on the rise, with unemployment, a growing drug problem, and societal changes relating from COVID-19 and staff not equipped to deal with this growing aggression.
- using body language to calmand de-escalate a situation
- how to assess the level of aggression/anger from the subject
- helpful phrases and words to de-escalate rather than escalate a situation
- communication and de-escalation techniques
- what is considered self defence ,and how staff can legally protect themselves against violence
- how to de-escalate face to face and telephone aggression and dealing with inappropriate comments
- scenario based learning.
All registrants will also be able to access some great resources to have in the clinic and place in reception ‘ Challenging Patient Resources Pack’
These are two sessions that will follow on from each other so it is really important that both sessions are attended.