Monday 18th October 2021
2:00pm - 4:00pm
This training is open to all health and allied health care practitioners who may provide pregnancy decision making support, counselling or post-abortion counselling or in a case management context. Considers short-term counselling in the post-abortion context. It will enhance understanding of factors in resolution after an abortion, assessment and referral pathways.
Introduction to post-abortion counselling learning outcomes:
- scene setting: Socio-legal context of unplanned pregnancy in Australia
- post-abortion counselling in the context of unplanned or unwanted pregnancy
- the pregnancy and abortion story
- anticipatory stress, stress and trauma
- intersection of unplanned pregnancy, intimate partner violence and reproductive coercion – responding to disclosure
- a trauma informed approach to abortion care
- counselling: core practice principles and frameworks
- responding to common themes and issues: case study and discussion
- post-abortion counselling referral
- discussion, reflection and self-care.