POLAR data tool
- About POLAR
- POLAR demonstration video
- Software compatibility
- Request POLAR
- Privacy and security
- POLAR Walkthroughs
- Increasing your practice income Business Modelling resources
- Accounts and passwords
- Resources for practices
- Resources for patients
- POLAR Mapping
- EMPHN Practice Data Quality Report
- Practice Incentives Program Quality Improvement (PIP QI)
- Frequently asked questions
POLAR stands for Population Level Analysis & Reporting (POLAR) system. POLAR is a business intelligence tool that uses extracted data from your clinical and billing software program and can be used by practice staff and GPs. Practices can use POLAR for quality improvement, support business development and help provide better patient centered care.
More information about POLAR can be found here.
There is no cost to practices within the EMPHN catchment. An agreement to provide de-identified practice data to the PHN is required for the use of the tool. EMPHN is then able to identify system gaps and work towards developing better services for the community. POLAR is now web based and the installation is very quick and can be managed via Teamviewer into the practice at a time that suits.
- Assists practices to meet their PIP QI requirements
- Identifying patients that are eligible for Health Assessments, Care Plans, Team Care Arrangements and Reviews and Mental Health Treatment Plans
- Assists with recalling patients for immunisations, screening tests and other preventative health items
- Assists practices with business planning
- Increase data quality and recording to assist with accreditation
- Improve patient outcomes
POLAR is Compatible with the following Software:
Practices that have mismatched billing and clinical software may not get full functionality
Want POLAR installed in your general practice? What's next?
Complete the below documents and email to email@example.com
- POLAR Data Security Information
- POLAR patient opt-out poster
- POLAR patient opt-out instructions
- RACGP Secondary use of general practice data
- POLAR Training videos via YouTube
Below are links to webinar videos covering specific POLAR topics as well as user Q&A:
- POLAR Webinar July 2020 part 1 (you will need to enter your details to view the session)
- POLAR Webinar July 2020 part 2 (you will need to enter your details to view the session)
- POLAR Webinar November 2019
- POLAR Webinar October 2019
- POLAR Webinar September 2019
- POLAR Webinar August 2019
- POLAR Webinar July 2019
Hospitalisation Risk POLAR Report is now available. Watch this webinar to find out how to use this report or contact your Digital Health Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for an overview.
POLAR Q&A Webinars are held by Outcome Health monthly. Registration is available via the front page of POLAR when you first login. There is also a link to the previous months webinar available if you have missed viewing.
Practices also have resources available through the POLAR program under Help:
- Clinical Indicators Walkthrough - Respiratory Patients Under 65 Years No Pneumococcal Vaccine
- Clinic Summary Walkthrough - Patients Over 65 Years Needing Influenza Vaccine
- Flu Vaccine Stock Predictor
- Clinical Indicators Walkthrough - Patients that have respiratory conditions that have an active GPMP that have not accessed the nurse items to assist with chronic disease management (available via telehealth)
- Clinic Summary Walkthrough Patients that have chronic diseases that are eligible for a GPMP (available via telehealth)
- Clinic Summary Walkthrough - Patients that are eligible for Health Assessments
- Clinical Summary Walkthrough - Patients that have Respiratory conditions eligible for a GPMP (available via telehealth)
- Clinical Indicators Walkthrough - Patients With a Mental Health Diagnosis eligible for a GP Mental Health Treatment Plan (available via telehealth)
- Keep patients at high risk of hospitalisation at home through comprehensive preventative care
- POLAR patients lists export-format-print (using excel)
- Applying Excel filters to columns in Excel
- Phase 1B COVID vaccination
- NEW! QI Activity Recall Patients With Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 No HbA1c Measurement Recorded In The Last 12 Months
- Quality Improvement activity - Demographic and Clinical Data Cleansing
- QI Activity Implementing Preventative Healthcare To Keep At Risk Patients Out Of Hospital
- PDSA increasing shared health summaries uploaded to the My Health Record
POLAR enables you to allow or restrict access to specific reports. For example, as an administrator you may prefer all staff to have access to the Summary report but restrict access to the Summary Business report to yourself and the business owner.
You nominate a POLAR administrator when you sign up.
The processes for setting up accounts, managing access, and resetting passwords are covered in the resources below. We recommend you start by viewing the set up guide video.
Contact us if you need help with these processes or alternatively you may search for the solution on the POLAR Confluence found here (use your POLAR login).
POLAR Mapping information is available in the POLAR program. Go to HELP then Data Mapping for this page:
A hard copy of your Practice report is available upon request that demonstrates practice performance against benchmarks.
The Practice Data Quality Report can lead to better patient outcomes and identify areas of improvement in your practice.
To request your practice report please contact: email@example.com
The PIP QI Incentive started on 1 August 2019.
If you do not currently have a preferred data extraction tool required to meet the data sharing PIP QI component, EMPHN can provide you with our existing data extraction tool (POLAR).
Visit our webpage for more information.
For support contact EMPHN's digital health team on 03 9046 354 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQs can be found here