Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) - Update 25 February 2020
Date issued: 25 February 2020 - (Update to Alert issued 16 February 2020)
Issued by: Dr Brett Sutton, Chief Health Officer, Victoria
Issued to: Clinicians and the Victorian public
- One further passenger from the Diamond Princess has tested positive for COVID-19. The three confirmed cases from the Diamond Princess have been repatriated to Victoria and are continuing their care in isolation.
- There are now 7 confirmed cases in Victoria, including the three Diamond Princess passengers.
- The list of countries that it is recommended that clinicians consider when testing people with a clinically compatible illness who have travelled has been expanded to include South Korea and Iran.
- Cases meeting the suspected case definition must be tested and notified to the department as soon as practicable by calling 1300 651 160, 24 hours a day.
- Cases meeting the ‘Person under Investigation’ case definition are now recommended for testing. Notification to the department is not necessary for these patients.
- Clinicians may choose to test any patient, particularly returned travellers with acute respiratory infection if it is felt to be clinically necessary. Notification to the department is not necessary for these patients.
Additional key messages:
- Be alert for cases, take a travel history and advise persons under investigation and suspected cases to isolate until you provide the result to your patient.
- People who have been in mainland China (excluding Hong Kong SAR, Macau and Taiwan) in the past 14 days are advised to self-isolate until 14 days after leaving China.
- There is no requirement for people from the other countries recommended for testing to self-isolate if they are well.
- Anyone who has been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 should also stay at home and avoid public settings until 14 days after their last contact.
- Stay informed of updates at https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/novelcoronavirus
Read the full alert: 2019-Coronavirus-disease (COVID-19) - Update
Authorised by the Victorian Government, 1 Treasury Place, Melbourne.